Counter

CAMERON TEXAS WEBPAGE

This webpage contains a Bulletin Board, History, photographs, and other information about Cameron Texas.

QUICK LINKS

Milam County Website



Post a Message on the Milam County Website


History of Milam County, Texas


Milam County was organized in 1836


Milam County During the Republic of Texas Days


The Subdividing of Milam County



SITE MAP

History of Rockdale, Thorndale, Bushdale


History of Gause


History of Hamilton Chapel, Cemetery Listing


History and Listing of Rockdale IOOF Cemetery


Tanglewood Home Page




Old West Saddles



Vintage Cowboy and Old West Collectibles



Belt Buckles



Western Handbags




Civil War Collectibles




Navajo Rugs, Native Baskets



North American Indian Collectibles



North American Indian Beadwork



Pioneer Relics and Antiques



Index of Vintage Buckle Catalogs



New Western Belts




Tomahawks, Knives, Antlers, Arrowheads, Crafts, Horns, and Snake Skins




Teddy Bear World


Texana Books, Republic of Texas Days


Old West Books


North American Indian Books


Coca Cola, Disney, and related Collectibles


Fort Tumbleweed's Christmas Catalog



Vintage Cowboy and Old West Collectibles



Timeless Gifts Catalog (crystals, gemstones, fossils, misc)





GOT A BIRTHDAY OR ANNIVERSARY COMING UP? We have a supply of old Life and Post Magazines That Make a Perfect Birtday Gift



Becoming a Webpage Supporter



BIRTHDAY OR ANNIVERSARY COMING UP- Order your own customized birthday newspaper



Artifact and Antique Appraisal



Tomahawks, Craft Supplies


Teddy Bear World



Navajo Rugs, Native Baskets



North American Indian Collectibles



North American Indian Beadwork



New Western Belts





Tomahawks, Knives, Antlers, Arrowheads, Crafts, Horns, and Snake Skins


Coca Cola, Disney, and related Collectibles


Fort Tumbleweed's Christmas Catalog





Search Engine Optimization and Free Submission

































































CAMERON TEXAS WEBSITE



Present Day Milam County


Welcome to the Cameron website. This is a work in progress so visit often and send us your stories and old photographs.



SUMMARY



During the days of the Texas Republic, Milam County was organized as the “Municipality of Milam” covering roughly one sixth of the entire republic of Texas. Nashville on the Brazos River served as county seat for Milam County during the days of the republic.

In 1846, the Texas territory was transitioning from an independent republic to a new state of the United States.

The young Republic of Texas had lasted just 10 years constantly fearful of attack from Mexico and under attack on all frontiers by the powerful Comanche nation. Just a few months earlier, the Congress of the Republic of Texas had adopted the resolution to join as a state of the United States with the full protection of the US army.

CAMERON FOUNDED IN 1846

In April of 1846, the Texas State Legislature authorized a seven-member commission to find a permanent site for the Milam county seat. The commission purchased a sixty-acre tract of Daniel Monroe's headright on the Little River later that year and named the new town Cameron, in honor of Ewen Cameron.

When the courthouse at Cameron was completed in 1846, the county records were transferred to Cameron from Nashville, which had served as the seat of Milam County during the republic.

In the 1850's and 1860's, Milam County was subdivided to form several other Texas Counties. Present day Milam County includes portions of the Brazos, San Gabriel, Brushy Creek and Little Rivers within 1,017 square miles of the Blackland Prairie and Post Oak Savannah regions of Texas.

Towns in present day Milam County include: San Gabriel, Thorndale, Rockdale, Milano, Gause, Burlington, Cameron (county seat) and Davilla.


4th Milam County Courthouse in Cameron




Milam County Courthouse Historical Marker in Cameron




Milam County Jailhouse Currently Used as a County Museum


Statue of Ben Milam, the County's Namesake. "Who will follow Old Ben Milam into San Antonio"? was Ben Milam's stirring battle cry that motivated the Texans into battle against the Mexican troops in the 1830's.




Mural on Building in Cameron, County Seat of Milam County

Photo of Historic Episcopal Church in CameronTexas
Historic Episcopal Church in Cameron, Milam County



Photo of Historical Marker in front of the Cameron Episcopal Church in CameronTexas
Historical Marker in Front of Episcopal Church in Cameron, Milam County






CAMERON AREA BULLETIN BOARD

This is a work in progress. Send me your inquires and I'll post them here for our readers.
Thanks.

Leonard Kubiak of Rockdale


History of Cameron Texas




The original inhabitants of the region that became known as Cameron Texas were Native Americans belonging to the Lipan Apache, Tonkawa and Comanches tribes. Excavations of site camps indicate the presence of Native Americans back as far as 12,000 years ago.

By the 1500's, the region was home to several nomatic Indian tribes including the Yeagues, the Huecos, the caddos, the Lipan Apaches, and Tonkawas. European exploration of the present-day Milam County region, began in the early 1700's. Fr. Isidro Felix de Espinosa and Domingo Ramón crossed the San Gabriel and Little rivers in 1716, when the Spanish sent expeditions to hold Texas against the possibility of French settlement. The Spanish also established several missions along the San Gabriel River, in an effort to Christianize the Indians in the region: San Francisco Xavier de Horcasitas, which was built in 1746, and San Ildefonso and Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria, which were built in 1749. A Texas historic marker that stands overlooking the mission site reads, "Established by Franciscan missionaries in 1749 with the hope of civilizing and christianizing the Coco, Mayeye, Orcoquiza, Karankawa, and other tribes of Indians. The martyrdom of Padre Jose Ganzabal and the circumstances connected therewith caused the departure of the Indians and the friars and the removal of this mission to the San Marcos River in 1755. Reestablished in 1762 on the San Saba River for the conversion of the Lipan Apaches with the new name of Mission Santa Cruz de San Saba".

Disease and unfriendly Indians caused the Spanish to abandon the sites in the mid-1750s. The Tonkawa Indians were generally friendly toward missionaries in the eighteenth and settlers in the early nineteenth centuries, but the nearby Apaches and Comanches presented a constant threat.

Milam County was organized in 1836

Milam County was organized in 1836 as one of the original twenty-three counties of Texas. Situated in Central Texas on the edge of the East Texas timbered region, it has both level prairies with black waxy loam and rolling hills, some with deep, white sandy loams with red clay underliner. Milam County has three main rivers: the Brazos on the east side, Little River through the center and the San Gabriel through the southern portion which is also fed by Brushy Creek just to the west of Rockdale.

The banks of these rivers are lined with cottonwood, sycamore, elm, pecan, and hackberry trees along their banks. Above the river bottoms, Milam County is covered with a wide variety of oak trees.

Early Day Milam County Visitors

Travelers on the El Camino Real (Old San Antonio-Nacogdoches Road), soldiers, missionaries and settlers looking for land, frequently wandered into the present area of Milam County and were repeated attacks by hostile Indians. Harassed by fierce Apaches, hounded and martyred by autocratic and debased military officers, ravaged by disease, the formerly friendly Indians began to disappear.

Soon after Mexico won her independence from Spain in 1821, a group in Tennesseans sent Robert Leftwich to Mexico to secure a grant of land for colonization. Three years later he received permission to bring eight hundred families to the area above the San Antonio Road which included all of present Milam County. Sterling C. Robertson became the empresario, but various circumstances delayed colonization and created dissension between everyone involved.

The grant was transferred to Stephen F. Austin and Sam Williamson and controversy became even more bitter. The contract was transferred back and forth between Robertson and Austin several times until the beginning of the Texas Revolution, confusing the legality of the land titles of early settlers who began to settle along the Brazos River in the southern portion of the colony.

In 1830 Mexico established a military post called Tenoxtitlan on the Brazos near the Old San Antonio-Nacogdoches Road to protect the frontier, but withdrew the troops in 1832. A village which had grown up around it contained about a dozen families, six of them Anglo-American and six Mexican. In the summer of 1834 an influx of immigrants from Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi and Louisiana came to the colony.

Two other towns were established at that time, both on the Brazos, which remained the easiest trade and immigration route. Nashville was founded on the west side of the river two miles below the mouth of Little River, near the present Gause. The village consisted of a cedar log blockhouse and a few log and frame houses. For a little while this was the location of Robertson's headquarters.

The community became a place for incoming settlers to rest, restock their supplies, seek out suitable homesteads and apply for titles. During the periodic Indian raids, the blockhouse provided security and a small cannon to reinforce their guns.

The "falls of the Brazos" was the site of the second settlement, located a few miles south of present Marlin. It was first called Sarahville of Viesco after Robertson's mother and the governor of Mexico. It now became the capital of Robertson's Colony. The population was mostly temporary; like Nashville, it was mainly a way-station for newly arrived immigrants.

Robertson's Colony was organized as the Mexican Municipality of Viesco as early as 1830, but after the death of Benjamin Rush Milam who was killed leading the Texans' attack on the Alamo on December 5, 1835, the Texas Provisional Government changed the name of the municipality and the town of Viesco to Milam in his honor.

During the Texas Revolution the settlers were caught in the worst stages of the "runaway Scrape" of 1836, a general exodus of the colonists before the advance of Santa Anna’s Mexican army after the fall of the Alamo. The settlers of the southern portion of the region made their way through rain and mud, over roads choked with families, livestock and loaded carts to Clapp's Crossing on the Trinity River. Here rumors reached them that Sam Houston's Texas army had been annihilated and the few remaining men among the refugees hastily began erecting log breastworks for defense. With the arrival of couriers with the news of the Texas Victory at San Jacinto on April 21, 1836, the settlers began their return to Nashville.

The settlers in the northern portion had not gone to the Trinity, but had sought protection at Parker's Fort on the Navasota River in present Limestone County. After the families had returned to their homes; they received news that in June Comanche warriors had massacred all the inhabitants of the fort except for several children who were kidnapped, one of whom was Cynthia Ann Parker.

Warned of a coming attack on their village, the colonists again loaded up their household goods, rounded up their livestock and headed south towards Nashville. The Indians caught them on the way, but they escaped with the loss of two men and survived numerous other hardships to finally reach the town. Not one white person remained in the region north of Nashville for many months. A few finally ventured forth, but frequently had to flee to Nashville for protection from the Indians, returning to their cabins when the danger had passed.

Milam County During the Republic of Texas Days




Photo of early-day map of the Republic of Texas
In the 1820s, Milam County was organized as the “Municipality of Milam” covering roughly one sixth of the entire state of Texas.

With the defeat of Santa Anna's army at San Jacinto in April of 1836, Texas became a republic. The First Congress of the Republic in 1836 named Milam County one of the original seven Texas counties. Later, fifteen counties were carved out of the original Milam County along with parts of eighteen additional counties.

Milam county was named in honor of Benjamin Rush Milam. Benjamin Rush Milam, born in Kentucky 1788, served as a soldier in the War of 1812 and came to Texas in 1818 where he traded with the Texas Comanche Indians. In 1820, Ben Milam was a Colonel in the Long Expedition and served as an Empresario of Mexico from 1826 to 1835.During the Texas revoilution, Benjamin Rush Milam participated in the capture of Goliad, October 9, 1835 was eventually killed in San Antonio on December 7, 1835 while commanding the Texas forces which captured the town from Mexican soldiers. "Who will follow Old Ben Milam into San Antonio"? was Ben Milam's stirring battle cry that motivated the Texans into battle against the Mexican troops.

The battle between white settlers and the native americans that called the area home continued throughout the days of the Replic and up through the Civil War days. In the mid to late 1830s, a company of Texas Rangers was assigned to guard the Milam County area from further Indian attacks. They constructed a blockhouse at the falls of the Brazos and called it Fort Milam. Later, another fort was garrisoned at the three forks of Little River. In the meantime, almost every community had built its own blockhouse. One each at Nashville, Tenoxtitlan and Milam, as well as the one A.W. Sullivan built on the Brazos north of Nashville in the late 1830's and a blockhouse and stockade built by Benjamin Bryant on Little River, about six miles west of present Buckholts, to protect his trading post.

In October 1844, at the falls of the Brazos, a treaty was made with the Indians that fixed a line of demarcation between the Indians and the settlers. It helped somewhat, but as late as January 1845, Indians continued to hunt on Brushy Creek and Little River in violation of the treaty.

CAMERON ESTABLISHED IN 1846

Cameron was established as a town in the new state of Texas in 1846 just after the Republic of Texas was dissolved. The Cameron location was selected by seven commissioners who chose a grove of post oaks a mile and a half east of the Little River on the Daniel Munroe League.

The new seat of justice and government was named Cameron in honor of Ewen Cameron, a member of the Mier Expedition who was captured and shot by the Mexicans. He was said to have bared his breast to the firing squad and shouted, 'I will show you how a brave American can die."

When the courthouse at Cameron was completed in 1846, the county records were transferred to Cameron from Nashville, which had served as the seat of Milam County during the republic.

MILAM COUNTY SPLIT UP (1850)


From the vast territory of Robertson Colony as defined in the original Spanish grant in the 1820's and renamed Milam County, all or part of 36 present-day counties have been carved.

First, all land east of the Brazos was de-annexed. A number of changes took place in the early 1840's and the area was greatly reduced during the years of early statehood. In 1850, Bell, McLennan and Falls County were created and a final definition of the Milam-Bell County line on April 4, 1861, left the boundaries of Milam County as they are today.

Cameron has remained the county seat and four courthouses have been built there. The two story brick courthouse burned April 9, 1874 and all the archives were destroyed except a few case records and one volume of surveyor's records. It was a major loss to local history.

Photo of Milam County Courthouse in Cameron Texas
4th Milam County Courthouse in Cameron



Photo of Historical Marker in front of the Cameron courthouse
Milam County Courthouse Historical Marker in front of the Courthouse in Cameron



CAMERON BECOMES A RIVER PORT

In the early days, Cameron was cutoff from any significant way of getting goods to market. In the late 1840s and early 1850s several attempts were made to navigate the Little River in order to give Cameron easier access to trade routes.

The most successful attempt occurred in 1850 after rains had made the river rise. J. W. McCown, Sr., persuaded Capt. Basil M. Hatfield to bring his steamboat, "the Washington", through the upper Brazos and up the Little River. The steamboat and the merchandise it brought caused great excitement among residents, and a two-day celebration was held when the boat tied up 2½ miles east of Cameron.

Navigation of the Little River was impractical on a regular basis, however, and other towns, such as Nashville on the Brazos and later Port Sullivan, prospered in the 1850s and 1860s as the dominant business centers of Milam County.

Cameron faced even greater competition in the 1870s, when Rockdale was established on the International-Great Northern Railroad. The arrival of the railroad prompted considerable discussion among Milam County residents as to whether Cameron should remain the county seat, and elections were held in 1874 and 1880 to decide if the county government should be moved to Rockdale.

Cameron survived these challenges, and in 1881 the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway arrived; the San Antonio and Aransas Pass came through the town ten years later. The railroads improved the town's economy and increased its prestige. The population grew from an estimated 500 in 1878 to 800 by 1884 and 2,000 by 1892.

CAMERON INCORPORATED IN 1889

Cameron had attempted to incorporate in 1856, 1866, and 1873, but each time the charter was allowed to lapse; the town was finally incorporated for good in 1889.

As late as 1875 transportation in Cameron was by wagons and stagecoaches. In 1861 the Houston and Texas Central Railroad reached Millica, fifty miles east of Cameron, in Brazos County. Produce from Milam moved through this town to Galveston and Houston. The Brazos and Little Rivers were navigated to some extent prior to the Civil War. A steamboat line was established on the Brazos, with wharves for receiving cargo at Port Sullivan, where the Austin-East Texas, and Waco-Houston roads met.

In 1850, the steamboat WASHINGTON brought a consignment of merchandise up Little River to a point near Cameron for Cameron merchants, McCown and Company. It was the only steamboat to ever navigate Little River.

In 1876 the first railroad was completed through the county when the International and Great Northern built a line from Hearne to Austin, crossing the southern portion of Milam County. Trade immediately centered along the railroad, making Rockdale the largest town in the region during the 1870's and 1880's. In addition to the railroad, it was in the center of a coal field which was mined during this period. Thorndale, Gause and Milano, (formerly Milam), also became important trading points because they were on the railroad line. The old towns along the old river trade routes on the Brazos dwindled away and disappeared.

RAILROAD COMES TO CAMERON (1881)

Cameron was cut off from the railroad until 1881, when the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe completed a line connecting it with the coast and Fort Worth. In 1890, a third line, the San Antonio and Aransas Pass gave Rockdale its second railroad and three new communities, Ben Arnold, Burlington, and Minerva grew up along this line.

The railroads improved Cameron's economy and the town's population grew to 2,000 by 1892. Cameron had attempted to incorporate in 1856, 1866, and 1873, but each time the charter was allowed to lapse; the town was finally incorporated for good in 1889. Although agriculture, particularly cotton, dominated the town's economy in the nineteenth century, diverse industrial interests came into play in the early twentieth century. The discovery of oil in neighboring Williamson County in 1915 prompted residents in Milam County to look for oil of their own, and the discovery of the Minerva-Rockdale field in 1921 provided new opportunities for investment. Several milk-product companies, including the Kraft-Phenix Cheese Corporation, were in operation at Cameron in the 1920s and 1930s.

The present population of Cameron is approximately 5600.


This is a work in progress. Come back often and send me your stories and old pictures and I'll post them on the web.

Leonard Kubiak, PO Box 1479, Cedar Park, Texas 78630.

Also check out our Highbank site. We've added a lot of information and old photos to that site.
Highbank, Falls County, Texas Website




Return to the Fort Tumbleweed Home Page






Copyright © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003,2004, 2005,2006. All rights reserved by Leonard Kubiak, Cedar Park, Texas 78630. Fort Tumbleweed and forttumbleweed are trasdemarks of Leonard Kubiak. No Part of this Website nor any of it's contents may be reproduced in any manner without written permission of lenkubiak.geo@yahoo.com


Web design by Len Kubiak lenkubiak.geo@yahoo.com










LEONARD KUBIAK's ONLINE TEXAS HISTORY WEBPAGES




NATIONAL HISTORY

History of Thanksgiving.
History of the Hesston Belt Buckle.
Ronald Reagan, 40th President of the U.S.





TEXAS HISTORY

History of the Texas Region from The Dynasaur Era to Historic Times.
How Texas Got It's Name.
Old 300 Anglo Settlers in Texas.
Will Goyens, early-day Texian
Sam Houston
History of the Texas Revolution.
Texas Declaration of Independence (1836).
Jim Bowie, Hero of the Alamo
William Travis, Hero of the Alamo
Goliad Massacre(1836)
Battle of the Alamo (1836)
Battle of San Jacinto
Officers and Men in the Texas Revolution
Important Documents of Early-Day Texas
General Santa Anna
Indian Captive Cynthia Ann Parker
Military Forts in Early Day Texas
History of the Republic of Texas
General George Custer
Generals Robert E. Lee and U.S. Grant
Letters by Early-Day Texas Settlers.
Governor John Conally
State Representative Daniel James Kubiak
Jean Kubiak Cundieff Memorial Page


BAILEY COUNTY HISTORY


History of Muleshoe, Hurley, Virginia City, Bailey County, Texas




BURNET COUNTY HISTORY

History of Gabriel Mills, Cedar Mills and Bertram, Texas



FALLS COUNTY HISTORY

History of Busksnort and Marlin, Texas
Eye Witness Accounts of Busksnort and Marlin, Texas
History of Cedar Springs, Wilderville, and Rosebud

Pleasant Grove, Falls County, Tx Webpage
Rosebud, Falls County, Tx Webpage
Highbank Webpage and History
History of Reagan, Texas
History of Reagan Baptist Church
History of the Reagan Methodist Church
Reagan Homecoming Page
Reagan Obituaries
Map of Reagan, Texas
Former Residents of Reagan, Texas
Former Students and Teachers of Reagan, Texas
Fond Memories of Life in Reagan
History of Alto Springs
History of Long Branch
History of Blue Ridge
History of North Blue Ridge (Stranger)




FALLS COUNTY CEMETERY LISTINGS

North Blue Ridge (Stranger)Settlement History and Cemetery
Blueridge History and Cemetery Roll
Mustang Prairie Settlement History and Cemetery Listing
History of Cedar Springs, Pleasant Grove, & Wilderville, and cemetery Listings
Waite (Reagan)Cemetery Listing
Blue Ridge (Reagan)Cemetery Listing
Hog Island (Reagan) Cemetery Listing
Johnson (Reagan)Cemetery Listing
Powers/McCaleb(Reagan)Cemetery Listing




HALL COUNTY


Memphis History and Homepage
Turkey History and Homepage



LEE COUNTY HISTORY

History of Tanglewood



LIMESTONE COUNTY HISTORY
Kosse History and Home Page.
Kosse Cemetery Listings.
Kosse Area Obituaries.


MILAM COUNTY HISTORY

History of Milam County
History of Rockdale, Thorndale, Bushdale
History of Gause
History of Hamilton Chapel, Cemetery Listing
History and Listing of Rockdale IOOF Cemetery



ROBERTSON COUNTY HISTORY

History of Bremond
History of Wootan Wells
History of Calvert




WILLIAMSON COUNTY HISTORY

Leander & Bagdad, Williamson County, Texas Home Page
Liberty Hill, Williamson County, Texas Home Page
Prehistoric History of the Liberty Hill Region
Liberty Hill Settlement in the 1850's
History of the Liberty Hill Stage Coach Stop (1852)
Liberty Hill -Then and Now
The Founding of New Liberty Hill (1882)
Historic Liberty Hill Cemetery Listing.
History of Cedar Park




HISTORY OF TRANSPORTATION

History of Trains in Texas



INDIAN RELEATED HISTORY

Indian Treaty Signed With the Comanches, Kiowas, and Apaches in 1867
The Story of Cynthia Ann Parker.
History of the Tarahumara Indians, a primitive tribe living in modern times.


OLD WEST RELATED HISTORY

Another true life tale of life in Early-Day texas
Famous Sam Bass Outlaw Gang
History of the Cowboy and Cattle Drives in Early-Day texas
History of The Western Stagecoach
Cowboys of the Silver Screen.



MISCELLEANEOUS HISTORY

History of Thanksgiving.
History of the Hesston Belt Buckle.







For questions or comments, send me an Email at lenkubiak.geo@yahoo.com





MORE PLACES TO GO


American Indian Collectibles



Cowboy Collectibles

Old West Books

Teddy Bear World

American Indian Books

Old West Buckles

Native American Jewelry.


Tomahawks, Knives, Crafts


Birthday Newspaper

rocks, crystals, fossils

Civil War Books


Best Fajitas in Austin!!


Texana Books


Western Art


Civil War Collectibles

Old West Saddles

Don't forget to bookmark our site and come back often!! Thanks for visiting!!



Click on the deer to add
This Page To Your list of webpage Favorites.
Add To Favorites

COME BACK TO SEE US OFTEN!





Copyright © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, & 2008. All rights reserved by Leonard Kubiak. Fort Tumbleweed and forttumbleweed are trademarks of Leonard Kubiak. No Part of this Website nor any of it's contents may be reproduced in any manner without written permission.


Return to the Fort Tumbleweed Home Page